Thursday, November 29, 2012

Foundation Routine

I have been absent for a realllllyy long time havent I. Been very pre-occupied because of school events and other stuff as well but I decided I would like to write a little today.

Now if you follow certain beauty gurus on YouTube you probably know that they often do an updated foundation routine.

For the uninitiated, yes foundation routines do change. Especially for those in a colder climate. The reason for this change is:

A) because the weather has changed and so makeup products change too - e.g. colder climates cause certain skin types to become drier
B) people who wear makeup often find better products that work better for their skin type (yes this involves a change in their makeup products as well)

So what IS  a foundation routine exactly?

Well basically it is a set of steps that you follow in order to get your base makeup done.

For me, I am very very very particular about foundation. This is because I want to mask certain areas such as my acne scarring and pigmentation as well as the dark circles under the eyes (yes I have low self esteem because of my pigmentation marks!) Because my skin tone is also very sallow i.e. yellow, i will look tired. No matter how much exercise I do or water I drink. Its genetic. So yes. THAT is why i use foundation.

I will probably have to do a separate post on skin tones. (I attempted to type a little already but it was already becoming an essay)

So yes. Lets go back to my actual post.

missing in the pic is my NYX concealer pot
L-R: Face powder setting brush by sigma, kryolan
transparent loose powder, Garnier Instant Fairness Roll on,
M.A.C Pro-Longwear Liquid Foundation, Neutrogena
Hydroboost, Sigma F80 Flat top kabuki brush
(my holy grail brush) & Laura Mercier liquid primer.
So my foundation routine changes roughly every 6 months or so. But it really depends. Once you find you have something that works for you, you might not even consider changing it.

My original routine included:
1) Moisturizing
2) Applying a primer (to prep the skin, make it smooth by filling in open pores or line and give you a gd canvas to work on)
3) Applying LIQUID FOUNDATION
4) Applying undereye concealer
5) Applying a concealer (if necessary)  NYX concealer pot
6) Applying a setting powder

So thats the foundation routine. It took me about 5-10mins max.

I know some of you gasp at the amount of products but I really want to ensure that the makeup stays on for a long time. Especially at work.

L-R: M.A.C StudioFix powder nc40, Real Techniques
Stippling Brush, Garnier Roll on, Neutrogena
Hydroboost, Sigma F80 brush, Laura Mercier primer
ZA Concealer Perfection in shade 3 
If you notice I specifically wrote liquid foundation in CAPS because that's the biggest change. I've switched to a powder foundation. I kinda rediscovered my M.A.C STUDIO FIX. I didn't realise how much i've missed it.

I used to use it but it made me look really cakey so I stopped. But now I use a different application method.

So my new routine from steps 3 onwards changed to:
1) Applying concealer to pigmentation - stipple it on using a flat top kabuki brush (sigma F80)
2) Applying undereye concealer
3) After letting concealer dry a bit, apply the M.A.C studiofix in round circular motions using a dual fibre stippling brush

DONE!

It is definitely faster. I can get ready in 10mins as opposed to 15mins. So i shaved off a good 5mins. (Yeah so people are fighting wars in other parts of the world and I'm proud of this. Tsk. Yes I am shallow. Shoot me)

So some of you might not even wear foundation but put on just moisturizer or a tinted moisturizer or even BB creams.

But whatever it is, a foundation routine is about using what works for YOU.





No comments:

Post a Comment